How was your weekend? There was supposed to be yard work, but I couldn’t start my mower…which led to an interesting set of discoveries that I can probably relate to writing.
(And no, despite the title, I didn’t break anything this time.)
Let’s get to it.
I couldn’t start the mower, like I said. I put gas in there, I checked the oil, I primed it–all fine. I even took the foam air filter out and brushed it off.
The spark plug was the only thing I didn’t check–but not for the reason you might think.
The mower’s built so that there’s a plastic box on one side of the spark plug wire, and a small metal cage on the other. Safe to say I could barely get my finger in the area, let alone a tool or what-have-ya (especially since the spark plug socket I had was miles too big).
So I turned to the internet, and found a video about how to change a spark plug. Changing one is easy–practically like changing a light bulb, actually. Take it out, check/brush, adjust gap if you need a new one, and screw it back in.
I pretty much already knew how to do that, but as I watched something jumped out at me…
The mower the guy was working on looked suspiciously like mine, and he mentioned the size of the socket he was using.
So I went to Wal-mart (where they told me they only sell that stuff during the summer) and then to Farm & Fleet (where they said “good luck” when I described to them what I had to do).
And I don’t even though if this’ll work–or if the spark plug itself is the issue.
Kinda like fiction or writing for clients–if you run into an issue, you don’t know if what you try to do to fix things will work until you try it.
And I’ll be trying my $3.75 little socket on the mower sometime after you read this, most likely.
Until next time,